Violence is not passive, and neither is peace. In order to manifest peace, each of us must make a commitment to do something that brings about peace. Peace is bigger than personal comfort. What is required is deliberate, intentional action and or training.
The human mind can create conflict. It can also create peace. To find peace in the world we must find peace in ourselves.Jack Kornfield
The moment we give rise to the desire for all beings to be happy and at peace, the energy of love arises in our mind.Master Teacher Thich Nhat Hanh
Lesson 22: Find a peace action you can take with your family, friends, social and/or faith groups. (There are a few suggestions below.)
- Read and discuss White Hot Hate: A True Story of Domestic Terrorism in America’s Heartland with your church, men’s, book club or accountability group.
- Organize a peaceful direct action with and for your community group. No guns, signs, slogans or rhetoric necessary. Simply show up with the intention of inspiring peace and kindness. Please note: A protest is not a peace action.
- Read and discuss The Inner Work of Racial Justice your church, men’s, book club or accountability group.
- Read and discuss the Teachings on Love or watch the video Four Elements of True Love by Thich Nhat Hanh.
- Work on a reconciliation activity in your community to restore peace and happiness at a shelter, homeless encampment or food pantry.
- Help restore peace to the Native American Communities we have harmed.
And self-empowerment is the most deeply political work there is, and the most difficult.Audre Lorde